Google Ad

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Garlic White Bean "Alfredo" Sauce

While I was sitting there one morning enjoying some baked beans, something came over me. No, not flatulence. The smooth, almost creamy, texture of the navy beans struck me with inspiration. All of the sudden, the idea of translating this creaminess into a sauce dawned on me. I asked myself, "What kind of sauce is smooth, creamy, and white?" The answer was simple: Alfredo.

Here is an original recipe for Garlic White Bean "Alfredo" Sauce. This is a much healthier alternative to Alfredo sauce and on the plus side it is vegan. 



RECIPE
1 can of white beans, drained (Cannellini, Navy, etc)
1/2 onion, diced (red, white, or yellow)
1 cup original flavored milk alternative, vegetarian broth, or water
1 tbsp minced garlic (approx. 5 cloves)
seasoning of choice (I used garlic salt and black pepper)

INSTRUCTIONS
In a blender combine garlic, beans, and liquid. Blend ingredients until the consistency is very smooth and set aside. Sauté onions in a heated pan with a little oil or a couple sprays of PAM. When softened, add the sauce, and let simmer on low while it is being seasoned. Constantly stir until the sauce thickens to your liking (more time on the stove allows for more liquid to evaporate causing the sauce to thicken). Serve over cooked pasta, vegetables, or whatever your healthy heart desires. 

TIPS
  • For a light, filling meal serve the sauce on your favorite pasta/ pasta alternative, then top with fresh diced tomatoes and green onions.
  • Add your favorite brand of meatless chicken strips, for a healthier alternative to Chicken Alfredo.
  • Add vegetarian/vegan bacon for a less-artery-clogging version of Carbonara sauce.






1 comment:

  1. Hey guys. I made this dish tonight and it turned out delicious. I used water as the liquid and penne as my pasta. The dish was really simple and easy to make but what took some time was the dicing of onion and mincing of garlic. Took me an hour to make but felt it was reasonable since it was my first time ever cooking. 10 out of 10!

    ReplyDelete